Thursday, September 23, 2010

Range report.

Well I went out and braved the rainy weather to try getting something accomplished today. Of course when I leave home its hardly a sprinkle, but when I get to the range it starts to really rain. The kind of summer rain that is warm, wonderful but steady. Picturesque in its own way but not when your putting up paper targets. Eh well.

So I Zeroed Classy, my 300 Savage bolt action. Final tally was three shots nearly covered up by a quarter at 100 yards.

Side note, those older leupold 100 sight in scope targets are crap. You have four 2 inch blocks to try to sight in for and its difficult to do precision work with anything less than a 9X, compared to the newer scope sight in targets out there. My favorite is the Burris package, that gives you nine different pink objects to sight in for. Good for all sorts of reticles.

Anyway, the 336 Still vexes me. I have something thats "zeroed" but that is the most inconsistant rifle I have seen. Perhaps it just dosent like 160 grains much. It will kill a deer at 100 yards and beyond, no sweat, but it dos'ent group worth a hoot. It still tends to fire three fine, then drop two off three inches south for no reason. It also will cluster three shots touching or nearly so, then two off randomly. Ill work on it but its a third rifle at least for now.

Thor, the .300 WSM continues to become more and more the Bastard.
The light ends of IMR 4350 net me a couple tight groups, one of which three shots are covered by a quarter. Not bad. However two and a half grains above the suggested STARTING point start to show sighs of high pressure, IE sticky bolt again. I'll research this happening more clearly some how. But at least I have a group that the rifle shoots well, at a powder charge that causes me no issue. The next plan is to zero up this loading, as well as process 50 new brass, and load those up.
This rifle is not a fun one to shoot. It belts even with 2000 lead bullets sitting in the leadsled. It is a polymer stock. and as such is very light. It does have recesses in it, which I may look in to glass bedding or at least filling up with something to give the stock a bit more heft.
However, I do have some success to report with that tonight which is a long overdue start.

No comments:

Post a Comment