Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Range Day Tommrow.

Well, tomorrow is going to be a long day at the range, though I shouldn't have to worry about barrels overheating in the low 60's like I did when it was 80 degrees.

So first up I am going to finally fire my 300 WSM. I have 10 misc rounds to break in the barrel, which in itself will be a lengthy process. Then I have 4 rounds for four different load weights to try. Wish me luck because those solid copper Barnes bullets are spendy. I don't want more than two range sessions to dial in a load. 180 grains are the first loads up, If I can get those dialed in for this seasons deer hunt ill be content, and work on the 150s and the 165 class bullets as the winter wears on. Thor as that rifle is named is however dangerously close to just getting called the Bastard for now.

I also am trying some Varget powder for my AR15 Varmint to see if I can tighten up my groups from IMR 4895. It should shoot better than two inches at 100 yards for ten shots, but these attempts are 5 rounds each to get a better picture of what this rifle is capable of doing.

My other Remington 700, the 300 Savage classic class of 2003 will be shot as well, and the scope dialed in. I have four loads to try with that, I am optimistic for this rifle.

Finally the 30-30 Marlin is going out for the third range session with the 160 FTX Hornady leverlution bullets. Trying Winchester 748 ball powder. I hope this time I get something close, and can dial it in with a fourth session, (if Im lucky one of my loads will work dead on, but I'm not lucky so far)

The object here is the standard I run with every deer season, I want one Primary rifle, and one back up. I would love to put the Workhorse 30-06 to back up status with the 300 WSM as primary but we will have to wait and see. Since also, customarily if I hunt with my standard hunting buddy he often borrows one of my rifles, for his wife so having three or four deer rifles up and running tends to be useful.

Granted, I do only prefer one rifle for all applications, the 30-30 while a great compact brush gun isn't used for that for me. I hunt with a .44 Mag revolver for pushing brush, the rifle is slung to my back. I find this to be a better arrangement than trying to swing a rifle though the pickers that I end up driving. Also a pistol is a wonderful tool to finish off a deer. Yes, I know, one shot one kill but I do not like approaching a wounded deer or a deer that is laying there to finish the job with a knife. Those hooves are dangerous things and I have seen a doe attack from the ground before. A pistol is more controllable and efficient to put another round in to an animal than a high powered rifle. I typically, since my luck is horrible only end up shooting or seeing does. Since I eat them anyway I don't particularly care. Its easy to just approach an animal and put a single round to the head. No, it doesn't end up splattering brains all over like one would assume, at least with the .44 mag at a couple paces away. The hollow points don't even have time to expand at that range in the quick passage though the head. I find that this is much safer than trying to grapple with a wounded deer, or have one "recover" for one last ditch attempt to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment