Monday, September 13, 2010

My Firearm grading scale.

So I will in the next couple of days do my overall assessment on my Sig P229 in 9mm. But before I do that I think I will illustrate my grading scale, its hopefully a bit more detailed than the typical ones you see either on line or in a gun rag.

I have decided to do a ten point scale, IE a perfect gun would receive a full 10.0 rating.
I will break the points down as follows:

1. Accuracy. This is the biggest department so It will be given a total point value of 3 points.

2. Ergonomics. This one will get 2 total points. This is something of a relative thing as each person is a bit different, so Ill try to use my observations of people using my reviewed firearms. This entails speed to acquire the target, how it feels in your hands, If its a pistol how it does with one handed firing, Long guns, how easy it is to acquire the target, to include shouldering the long gun, and also recoil, both in felt and speed of subsequent shots on target. Also with this, how easy it is to shoulder the firearm in either some fashion of tactical garb or hunting jacket attire. Also with this, the ease of reaching all controls, like decockers, Safeties, Mag Releases, etc.

3. Price. This is the over all assessment of the firearm, and if it is a value for the money, and included, ammunition prices, IE a common caliber will probably scale better, like a 30-06 vs say 340 Weatherby Magnum. This one nets another 2 points.

4. Fit and finish for two points. How well things are assembled, mostly self explanatory.

5. Availability of either parts or aftermarket accessories, Slings, holsters and the like. One point.

No comments:

Post a Comment