Thursday, August 26, 2010

Shooting time again..

Well I'm once again headed to the range, second time in two weeks. Been a long time since that was managed, but the timing suddenly presented itself and if there is one thing I have learned of recent time, at least the past three to four years, is to take the time if its there. There will always be time to do things later on when the weather turns miserable in say.. November. Not to mention its time to make sure that I have at least two deer rifles sighted in with a good solid load, and practice time with them, in time for the T Zone in October, or at least the main Gun Hunt in November.

*Grumbles* Here is to hoping I get the botched M700 back in time from Gander Mountain so I don't have to rush loads out for it.

One of the blogs I follow, here: http://gunscoffee.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-timers.html pretty much sums it all up perfectly word for word on taking out a new shooter, at least an adult. A year ago I took my best lady friend out shooting with me and she had a blast. I explained how each pistol worked that she shot, and she shot a few of them, starting with my Kimber 1911 with the .22LR conversion on it. Gave her the weapon after having her demonstrate to me she understood the function, and one round in the mag, then stepped it up to full mags and let her shoot on her own terms. While that one was her favorite, she did also enjoy it when I put the .45 slide assembly in to it, and shot that well. She also handled my snub nosed .38 with aplomb.  While she did not shoot more than a couple rounds though my XD .40 she was able to handle it, she just did not enjoy how it felt, and that was fine by me. I have shot pistols well that I did not enjoy myself. Whats more is in a couple weeks or so she will be going out with me again, and I hope to do more of the same, and perhaps let her try her hand at my Sig 229 in 9mm.

I brought out my six year old daughter and my 8 year old son this summer, and hope to do it again with their youth .22. I had to have both of them take a step back form time to time if they forgot something, like keeping the muzzle pointed in the proper direction (The rifle was never out of control, just that they being young let their attention wander just a bit, nothing serious) And they loved it, plus it was time with Dad.

The 1911 platform seems to be one that new shooters pick up instinctivly and shoot it well, though I have seen some 22 revolvers both in single and double action employed well as well as some of the longer barreled .38 specials, four to five inch barrels used to good effect as well.

I know that I was proud as hell with my children and my Lady Friend and their results, infact she still has two of her targets up on her fridge!

One thing though that I would add to that post from Guns & Coffee is this: If your taking a new shooter out, do not pressure them to shoot more than they feel comfertable with and dont bore them to tears, or have them watching you do more shooting than them while they stand idle. As he mentioned, solid ear protection and eye protection is key, as .22's at least tend to toss back burned and unburned powder at times.
Balloons were mentioned too and I have done the same in the past, hell I like shooting the things at 100 yards from hunting positions too. Its even better if you put them on the top of a target backing in some wind so they buck about. If you can pop a head sized balloon at 100 or 150 yards from either standing or a quick kneeling position you can kill a deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment