Monday, August 30, 2010

Another offical year older.

Well, its that time of the year again, having spun another circle around the sun.

While this year is tracking to be a bit of a .. well normal birthday, Bit alone, somewhat forgotten at least as far as those things go.

More than anything else its giving me time to reflect and look back at where I have been and where I have come from, and most importantly what I have learned.

One of the things that seems very bizarre to me is the states that have "high" capacity magazine laws in place, banning or making possession of more than ten rounds (Generally anyway) illegal, a felony as far as I know.
The thing that strikes me with that is to make owning, at least semi automatics so annoying or difficult that people will stop doing so. Some states take this further with having approved weapon types, or pistols which is another smoke and mirrors sort of situation. While one could make the argument that most self defence shoots or what have you do not take more than ten rounds, I find this to be a particularly troubling double standard that lawmakers and their ilk put in place. I can't think of a police issued or approved firearm, at least a primary carry item that is magazine fed that has a capacity of ten rounds or less, (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone? I don't mean someone carrying a revolver or a small .380 type of pistol) aside from perhaps the departments that allow a .45 single stack 1911 style firearm. And generally speaking those are pretty uncommon. Now I ask you, if self defense shoots are limited to ten rounds or less, why do the police have these weapons that hold often times far more than a piddly ten rounds? What makes a police officer need those extra rounds any more than anyone else? The answer is absolutely nothing. Making a GVT entity of any sort exempt from the rules put down to the citizens is all to common, but it should not be tolerated. If they need this object, or device to possibly combat someone then I need it too.

There are states that take this even further by limiting "types" of firearms, and making manufacturers meet safety regulations, put forth by the GVT, after all we wouldn't want a unsafe pistol getting out there right? Change the paint job on a pistol from black, to lets say, Olive Drab Green and that pistol is now a totally new firearm and needs further approval? Well lets take a look at this one too then.
Aside from it making it just difficult for people to purchase a firearm (grandfather clauses are another story) its using the GVT to regulate a business or product out of existence. These states that have these in place are betting that no one or very few companies will put forth the effort to meet these stringent rules and requirements. Make sure this pistol is safe? Isn't there already a federal law, and most states have additional laws regarding leaving a weapon in the access of children? As far as the weapon operating and being safe to shoot, I can promise you that If I pick up a new weapon and I fire it and the damned thing blows up and injures me with factory ammunition I will be able to sue either the ammunition company or the firearm company if their products were defective. I don't need the gvt to okay a pistol or rifle other than following the letter of the law and supporting me if one of those items was defective and the company did not though normal recourse make matters right.

Then there are the cities, like Madison, Madtown itself that don't allow the big scary uber powerful super killing machine evil black rifle types to be sold in them to someone that .. well walks in to a store, gets a background check and walks out with it. Because yes you tardlings in madtown, one of the tiny percentages of criminals that will use one of those instead of say, something easily concealed like a pistol.. they will never, ever, ever ever break a law and break one of those rifles in right? Or not find a way to get one from out side the city. But the good news is that the idiots hearts and minds are safe from something they don't like the thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment