Tuesday, August 31, 2010

One Rifle set for Season.

Well I took my finalized load data for my 30-06 Workhorse.. (Hmm I think it just named itself)
Now This is the current load I'm using. I accept no responsibility for the information I'm posting, as always start out from a manual and work your way up, Don't sue me I haven't any money.. That aside,
IMR 4895 with 46.3 Grains seems to be the way to go. Its to the  bottom of the loading, and I had good groups with 46.2 and 46.4 grains, So I went with the middle. CCI #200 Large Rifle primers, and topped off with a Nosler E tip 150 grain pill. This rifle seems to love the polymer tipped projectiles, its always shot great with ballistic tips, but I found that their performance to be somewhat spotty.
Now every deer that I have shot with them with one exception has gone down rather swiftly, I don't enjoy how the Ballistic tips have shattered apart once inside. While thats effective for varmints and takes a deer down, I want something that holds together a bit better. Hitting a deer in the front shoulders shouldn't mean that I'm pulling copper bits out of the rear quarters. The E Tip I'm shooting this year is a solid copper projectile so I'm hoping there is no outer jacket to separate and splinter from a lead core.
50 rounds later I have a year or two of ammunition and at least one rifle complete, so even if the 300 WSM doesn't get returned in time, Ill have the Workhorse ready, and one or two others as backups.

No comments:

Post a Comment