Sunday, August 11, 2013

New Glarus Berliner Weiss

Every now and again I suppose I can give my take on some of the craft brews I sample. Today's activities outside involving splitting logs calls for something that is light and refreshing beyond the Miller/Budweiser/Coors stuff so I cracked open a bottle of New Glarus's previous specialty Berliner Weiss. This stuff seems to be about the perfect drink to have one or two of on a hot afternoon. If you did not know there is a series that New Glarus releases every few weeks it seems that they don't ever promise to brew again. They call it their Thumb print series.  (Though I expect if there is enough call for it they would again.  Here is their current list..) With out getting in to it a whole lot due to the fact its not available except as residuals in stores and the fact if you are outside Wisconsin you just plain won't find it it fits the bill as a wonderfully tart and crisp beer. True to the style you will not find a bite of hops to this or a malt overload. Champagne of the North indeed.

I'll give this one a 9 of 10. It is very true to form, one that is drinkable very often, the only thing that dings it in my book is the more limited availability, even for Wisconsin and the fact it is not likely a beer that you would think of consuming year round. 


No comments:

Post a Comment